- where Character A has gone away/missing/etc and is believed to be dead by their lover Character B, except Character A is actually alive and finally returns some years later to find that Character B has moved on and found love with someone else.
- where Character A has to break Character B's heart and leave, because Character B's life is at risk unknowingly just by being linked to Character A.
- where Character A and Character B were in love at a time where they just couldn't be together. But when the time comes that they could be together, Character A had already long given up and moved on - but Character B never forgot how much they loved the other.
- where they want children really badly, but Character A dies during the birthing process, leaving Character B as a solo parent.
- where Character A is forced to be responsible for Character B's death.
- where Character A is framed for an awful crime that essentially ruins Character B's life. Worse, Character B is led to believe that Character A was actually responsible, even though they weren't.
- where Characters A and B love each other, but are each married to somebody else already. Even better, in a setting/timeframe where divorce wasn't actually made legal.
- where Character A goes off to war, leaving Character B behind. Character A never returns, their body never found.
- where Characters A and B are in a Brokeback Mountain scenario, society would frown upon the relationship, they can never find a place to be together and hooray CHARACTER A GETS KILLED~*~*~*~*~*
- where Character A dies, leaving behind a series of letters for their lover that traces them back through the timeline of their relationship and back through Character A's history. (and yes i was thinking of p.s. i love you)
- where Character A is unable to do anything as Character B slowly dies due to a disease. Even better, if both of them have the disease and it's only a matter of time before one dies before the other, knowing the other will follow soon after.
- where Character A has unrequited feelings for Character B and will do anything for them, even if it means helping Character B find their happiness with someone else altogether.
- where Character A has been through an incredibly rough past with relationships and while they love Character B, they refuse to be with them because they're too afraid the past will repeat itself.
- where Character A is the second partner of Character B, whose first partner had passed away tragically. Character A knows they'll never completely heal Character B's heart, nor can they ever fill the void that Character B's first partner had left them with.
- where Character A is in love with Character B and is getting married to them, but they know Character B was always in love with somebody else.
- where Character A is a wanted outlaw and needs to escape the country, and Character B is forced to choose between their lover or their home where their beloved family is. Character B chooses their lover, which gets them hated and shunned by their family. However, while on the run, Character A gets caught and killed. Character B is left alone without their lover or a warm home they can return to.
c: you're welcome <3
anyways i'm flying back home tomorrow woooo