How not to portray the Spanish colonisation of the Philippines.
1. I hate the "PAPA!<3" "MI HIJA!<3" thing. Spain has done a lot of bad things to the Philippines and she was never the special snowflake Spanish colony. She wanted to become independent from him. There were pros and cons to it all, but let's face it, their relationship was no father-daughter thing. The Philippines has history and influences prior to the Spanish colonisation anyway, do the research.
2. the 'Philippines was mistaken for a boy by Spain' headcanon. Wow, let's just take Hungary's backstory and Chibitalia's backstory and mash them together? ORIGINAL DESU!!! No, Spain is not stupid. Also even if he did mistake her for a boy at first, shouldn't Philippines go ahead and correct him right off the bat? And if Spain was unsure, he could have simply asked.
3. According to Himaruya's profiling of Spain, he favoured Romano and was stricter to the rest of his colonies. But Romano was always referred to as more his 'lackey' or something along those lines. He was never given special snowflake treatment and called a son of Spain's or anything. Why should Philippines be referred to as his daughter when it's been made clear she wasn't a favourite?
4. Stop making Romano jealous of your Philippines. He's canonly jealous of his brother North Italy. He doesn't need to be jealous of your silly mary sue, thank you. Give the poor kid a break.
5. Stop acting as though Spain's only colonies were Romano, Mexico and Philippines and that they all lived in Spain's house, happily ever after! Not many Filipinos were even allowed to leave the Philippines until later in the colonisation. Also most of their interactions were with Mexico (New Spain at the time - Manila Acapulco Galleon Trade, refer to that) and Spain, sometimes over parts of Asia considering THEY'RE IN ASIA, NOT EUROPE - so yeah, Romano and Philippines don't have as much history as certain parts of fandom may have you believe, kthnxbai. Also yeah, Spain had all these other colonies. Why are they suddenly all conveniently forgotten? Way to snub an entire continent, guys. I'm sure the Latin American fandom are loving that.
6. Did you know that Spain had other reasons for fighting his wars and that it wasn't all for Philippines? No really, I've seen bios saying that 'Spain's gone to war with Netherlands over Philippines!' and stuff. Here's the newsflash, guys: Spain and Netherlands, Spain and England... They were having bad history WITH OR WITHOUT Philippines being a factor. Philippines was only fought over because he/she was a territory of Spain's and of course Netherlands and England wanted to get at Spain. She also has a lot of great resources and a key positioning in Southeast Asia. They weren't fighting because 'OH MY GOD I LOVE HER AND I MUST TAKE HER AWAY FROM SPAIN'. It was more like 'I'm going to defeat Spain and hey, Philippines looks pretty key to achieving my victory', more along those lines. Please, your Sues aren't worth starting wars over.
So yeah, I have a lot of complaints regarding the portrayals I've seen of the Spanish colonisation of the Philippines. My Philippines OC has a lot of complaints about it too.
Philippines OC belongs to
Mexico OC belongs to
Spain and Romano belong to